Introduction: the Pazos
“Big house with chapel, dovecote and cypress, is a pazo”
The word “pazo” comes from pallatium and is used to designate in Galicia the manor house frequently built in the countryside. Its origin dates back to medieval castles and fortresses that were owned by nobles or the church. In the 17th and 18th centuries they reached their maximum splendor thanks to the “forums” (rents) that the peasants paid to the local nobility. These nobles acted as intermediaries between the peasants and the lord, who used to live in the city or at court. According to Pardo Bazán, author of Los Pazos de Ulloa, “the castles, prepared for the state of war or turbulence, were followed by constructions more in harmony with the long peace”
Valle Inclán has left master pages in Autumn Sonata and in Las comedias bárbaras and Otero Pedrayo has placed in them stories that speak of its collapse.
We have to go back to the year 1435 to trace the history of the place where the Pazo da Trave is located. In that year, the bishop of Mondoñedo, the cathedral dean and two attorneys meet in the area known as Paso dos Cabaleiros, to discuss the dispute between the Galdo parish and the income forums. After several disputes and litigation, Galdo loses his council status and becomes Viveiro’s..
Genealogy of the Pazo da Trave
In 1435 the bishop of Mondoñedo gave the Galdo preserve to Don Alonso Pérez de Viveiro for 5,000 maravedies. Many years later, the property to be owned by the Viscount of Altamira, Don Juan de Pita Pumariño, who left it as an inheritance to his son, Fernando Pumariño, alderman of Viveiro and married to Catalina de Miranda, sister of the Archbishop of Seville and founder of the University of Oviedo, Fernando de Valdés y Salas, a marriage that shows the close relationship, and not only geographic, between Asturias and Galicia.
Then the place is taken by the daughter, María de las Alas Pumariño, married to the corregidor of A Coruña. In 1607 Antonio da Ponte and Prada bought it for 1000 ducats, and later gave it to his son Teodoro.
The property continues its journey of inheritances and legacies, until it reached the hands of the Lord of Galdo, Juan Gabriel da Ponte, in the mid-19th century.
The Pazo da Trave is rebuilt and renovated in the best tradition of respect for its origins, with indigenous materials and artisan techniques that reflect the ceramic traditions of the area, led by the nearby Sargadelos. factory. After the work is completed, it is integrated in www.pazosdegalicia.com, a group of palaces, castles, monasteries, rectory houses and “big houses” dedicated to Rural Tourism.
The property aims to respect the tradition and elegance of the Pazo to offer the guests all the relax and comfort with the advantages of modern and highly efficient management. A rural accommodation with all the comfort, large common áreas and a spectacular garden.
A little Paradise.